It’s hot outside! July is usually our hottest month here in SW Colorado, but I know around the country it can get really hot for several months in a row.
So today I wanted to talk about ways to keep your homestead animals cool in the summer heat.
Sudden temperature changes can really be hard on outdoor animals. Last year we got a spike in temperature in May and we weren’t ready for it. We lost our rabbit buck because he got overheated. We were really upset about it and from then on we kept a closer eye on the weather.
Basic Tips for All Animals To Keep Cool in the Summertime Heat:
- Make sure they have fresh water to drink.
- They need a shady place to rest in the heat of the day.
- A ventilated area is recommended so that air can circulate and keep them cooler.
Tips to Keep Your Chickens Cool and Happy in the Summer:
- Make a shallow area of water (such as a kiddie pool or shallow plastic bin) for them to put their feet in to keep cool.
- Add a fan overhead in the coop to circulate air.
- Freeze fruits or vegetables in an ice block for the chickens to peck at.
- Use a mister outside of the coop to keep them cool (if they choose).
- You could spray the grass with water (or a sprinkler) and then let them out in the cool grass for a little while.
- Make sure there is a dirt area where they can dig and stay cool.
- Have a tree or bushes for shade.
Tips to Keep Your Rabbits Cool and Happy in the Summer:
- Freeze a water bottle and put it in the rabbit cage for the rabbits to lay by to cool off.
- Use a mister over the cages to keep them cool.
- Plant a tree near the rabbit cages to shade them in the summer (and a wind break in the winter).
- Use a sprayer to spray them down in the heat of the day.
- Provide something cool for them to lay on (like a wet towel or cool tile).
- Make sure they have shade to get under during the hottest part of the day.
- Put ice in their water bottle.
- Brush them to decrease excess fur.
The animals on our homestead are very precious to us and we want to make sure we are taking care of them, especially in the summer heat. I hope these 18 ways to keep your homestead animals cool will give you some ideas to help your outdoor animals as well.
How do you keep your animals cool during the summer heat? Let us know in the comments below. And if you found this post helpful, please share. Thanks!