I love to travel. Whether it is by plane or car, I always look forward to a fun trip.
I love seeing new places, taking tons of pictures, learning about new cultures and eating at new places.
But I don’t want travel to end my real food diet. I don’t want to feel sick or bloated on my vacation, just because I’m not eating right.
If you feel the same, I have some tips for you that will hopefully help you stay on track, even while traveling.
4 Tips to Eat Real Food While Traveling
1. Do your research for real food restaurants
There are almost always real food options to choose from at any restaurant. But if you try to stay away from fast food chains and choose actual restaurants instead you will have better luck.
Most “mom and pop” restaurants serve real food. It may not be “organic”, but it will be healthier than most fast food options.
Most traditional food in other cultures is real food. So try to eat like the locals do (in everywhere but the U.S.) and you’ll do fine. You may even find some recipes you want to repeat when you get home.
So do your research before the trip, read yelp and trip advisor reviews, and find some real food restaurants to try on your trip. It will make all the difference in your overall experience and health.
2. Take snacks
If you are in an airport or other location where only fast food is available, it’s always better to take snacks that you know are healthy to munch on.
Some snacks that are easy to pack and carry are nuts, granola bars, beef jerky, protein shakes and fruit.
If you have a cooler, you can pack even more snacks such as cheese, boiled eggs and meats.
Having these things with you will keep you satisfied until you can get to a better restaurant option. Then you can eat whatever real food they have available.
3. 80/20 rule
I don’t think you have to have only real food all of the time. There is a time and place to make “unhealthy” choices in the name of vacation or trying something new.
That is where the 80/20 rule comes in. If you eat real, healthy food 80% of the time, you can make less healthy choices the other 20% of the time and still be ok.
So if your kids want to hit that ice cream shoppe on the boardwalk, don’t feel bad. Join in for a single cone.
If you want to have dessert at dinner, just pay attention to the rest of the meal and make it as healthy as possible.
This isn’t an all or nothing lifestyle. It’s a “most of the time” lifestyle that will keep you healthy, even if you choose unhealthy options every once in a while.
4. Avoid overeating
One of the biggest problems with traveling is overeating.
Whether it is eating too many snacks on a long road trip or eating after your stomach is screaming that it’s full, overeating can ruin your vacation. It can make you feel sick and bloated and make you lose the energy you need to see the sights and experience the fun of traveling.
So my suggestion is to eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day so that you keep your energy up and don’t get weighed down by food.
The main thing I want you to take away from this post is that you should enjoy your vacation/travel as much as possible. Try local foods and relax alot.
Look for local markets and take tips from local cooks. These things will help you enjoy your trip without overeating or making yourself sick.
Vacation can include food, but it isn’t all about the food. Enjoy other experiences as well that you will probably remember more than the food for years to come.
Where are your favorite places to travel? Let us know in the comments below. And if you found this post helpful, please share. Thanks!