Do you ever think that eating real food is just too hard to manage on a daily basis?
You don’t have time to pick out recipes, go to the store, prepare and cook fresh, real food recipes for your family every day.
First of all, I want to tell you that you are not alone. It isn’t easy. It definitely takes more time than going through the drive thru of your favorite fast food place or popping a pre-made dinner into the microwave.
But it is also so much more healthy and rewarding than those things as well.
So I started doing some research on quicker ways to eat real food at home, and meal kit delivery services kept popping up.
I did a review of ButcherBox Meat Subscription Service awhile back. You can read that review here —> An Honest ButcherBox Review From A Subscription Box Sceptic.
But I decided to try out a popular meal kit delivery service for my blog readers to see what the hype was all about and if it was worth trying out. Here is what I found. . .
What is Hello Fresh?
Hello Fresh is a meal kit delivery service that delivers fresh foods, portioned for your family dinners to your door. You can choose between 2 and 4 servings per meal and everything you need to make the recipe (except salt & pepper, butter and other small staples) are included in each bag.
Why is it important?
Hello Fresh says it’s “America’s Most Popular Meal Kit” and I can see why.
They deliver real food straight to your door in easy to make recipes that usually take about 30 minutes to make.
You can pick from tons of different recipes for all different kinds of meal preferences and styles.
It cuts out looking for recipes, grocery shopping and much of the time of real food meals.
What is included?
Inside the Box Each Week:
- Easy-to-follow recipes with clear nutritional info
- High-quality ingredients sourced straight from the farm
- Convenient meal kits that fit perfectly in the fridge
- A fun cooking experience that makes you feel unstoppable
What is the cost?
Pricing varies on what kinds of recipes you pick, how many servings and number of recipes per week.
For 4 people, 3 recipes a week it is $7.49 per serving (plus shipping).
For this price you get 3 Meat & Veggies recipes per week for 4 people.
It that price seems high, there are coupons available for new customers. I’ll discuss that more below.
My favorite things about Hello Fresh:
- I don’t have to think about what recipes I want to try, I know whatever they send will taste amazing!
- I don’t have to do the grocery shopping because the food comes right to my door.
- All of the food arrived at my door fresh and cool, even though I live 4 hours (or more) from a major city.
- I learned alot about cooking by making these recipes. Mostly I have learned that I need to add more spices and variation of vegetables to make my dinners more amazing.
- I don’t have to think ahead at all at dinnertime. I just grab a bag of ingredients and start cooking.
- All of the recipes look really good, even though I’ve only tried 8 so far.
- I know I have said this before, but it is worth repeating. The recipes are really good!
The things I don’t like about Hello Fresh:
- There isn’t enough food for our whole family. We have a family of 5 with 3 teenage boys. They don’t eat a recommended serving size, and even if they did the serving sizes only go up to 4. So while I have been testing these recipes, I just did the servings for 2.
- It is more expensive than shopping for yourself at the grocery store. You can buy in bulk at the store and you can mix and match ingredients for later.
Who is Hello Fresh right for?
- Those that want to cook real food but are short on time.
- Those that don’t like grocery shopping.
- Those that don’t want to think about their dinners ahead of time.
- Those that eat out often, but want to start cooking more at home.
- Those that want to be a better cook by learning these new recipes.
- Those that don’t want alot of leftovers after dinner.
- Those that see the value of real food delivered to their doorstep.
Who is Hello Fresh not right for?
- Those that are on a tight budget.
- Those that have a large family.
- Those that like to have leftovers for the next day’s lunch.
- Those that prefer prepackaged foods over fresh foods.
- Those that don’t like to cook.
- Those that are picky and don’t like to try new things.
Honestly, if it was just me and my husband we would use Hello Fresh every week. We loved the convenience, quality and taste of the Hello Fresh meals.
But right now, we have 3 teenage boys in the house and they eat massive amounts of food. They weren’t too happy when they would smell all of these amazing meals and they weren’t allowed to eat them. I made other food for them while testing out Hello Fresh.
But in 4 years, when they are out of the house, I will highly consider Hello Fresh again. It would be perfect for our goals and lifestyle then.
If you have a small household, I would highly recommend Hello Fresh for your family. For all of the reasons I listed above, I think it is a great and valuable service.
If you would like to try Hello Fresh and see for yourself what the fuss is all about, you can use the link below (affiliate link) to get a coupon off your first couple of orders.
$40 off your first box with this link —> Hello Fresh First Time Customer Coupon.
If after that you don’t feel like it is worth it or you can’t afford it, you can cancel at any time. There is no certain number of meals or time you need to have before you can cancel, so you aren’t locked in forever!
I hope this review has been helpful. Hello Fresh (and other meal kit delivery services) are an easy way to get fresh, real food meals on the table in less time.
Have you tried Hello Fresh? Let us know in the comments below. And if you found this post helpful, please share. Thanks!