Essential oils have a large influence in the homesteading community.
Many of my fellow homesteading bloggers sell oils for all different brands.
I can see why: they are a natural solution to many physical ailments previously treated with over the counter or prescription medications.
I have been exposed to oils by many friends that use them religiously. They swear by their effects and don’t leave home without them.
So, why don’t I sell essential oils? I’m so glad you asked.
6 Reasons Why I Don’t Sell Essential Oils:
- I have been burned by MLM companies in the past. I have tried to sell MLM (multi-level marketing) products in the past with little success. I always spent much more than I made and felt frustrated by the whole process.
- So many friends and family are already selling them. I know so many people selling oils that I don’t really need to sell my own. If I ever want to try one out or learn more, I have so many people willing to help me out. The market seems fairly saturated, at least within my circle of friends and influence.
- I don’t want to be someone people avoid. When I did try to sell MLM products in the past, I felt like people would avoid me so I wouldn’t ask them about my product. I was told by my upline that I needed to do a certain amount of presentations per month, but I didn’t want to ask the same people over and over.
- I don’t have a strong conviction of their effectiveness. Like I said above, I know plenty of people that rave about oils. They have saved them money or helped them regain health. I know they believe this and I have no reason not to believe their testimonial of these products. I just haven’t experienced it in my life, therefore I would have a hard time selling it. To each his own, but if I’m going to sell something I need to have my own “testimony” of it.
- I don’t feel like I need them that often. My friends that sell oils seem to use them constantly. I guess we just aren’t that sick very often. It is the same reason I don’t get a flu shot. I figure one of these days I’ll get the flu (I don’t remember ever having the flu, but I must have had it sometime) but until then I just don’t want extra chemicals in my system on the off chance that I might get it. I don’t go to the doctor often, but when I do I really need to. Otherwise, the only medication I take is Ibuprofen on a monthly basis. So much for being a pharmacist’s wife!
- I have issues with strong smells and tastes. I don’t like the strong smell or taste of oils. I can tell when others around me have oils on. I really have an aversion to ginger. When I use oils for cleaning, I dilute them alot so they aren’t so strong. Otherwise, too many oils give me a headache. Strange, I know.
So what does this mean? Does this mean. . .
- that I don’t like essential oils?
- that I don’t like people that sell oils?
- that I think essential oils are bad for you?
ABSOLUTELY NOT! Sorry. I didn’t mean to yell. I don’t want anyone to think I am bashing them because they use or sell oils.
I use essential oils in my home, but not often on or in my body. I think they have value and can be effective for some things.
[clickToTweet tweet=”I may be the only blogger in the homesteading community that doesn’t sell essential oils. #oils” quote=”I may be the only blogger in the homesteading community that doesn’t sell essential oils. #oils”]
What Do I Use Essential Oils For In My Home?
- I use oils for making my own cleaning products. Certain oils (like orange and lemon) have disinfecting and cleaning properties that are useful for homemade cleaning products.
- I use oils when I make my own laundry detergent. I use some oils to add a slight smell to my homemade laundry soap. For this, I usually pick orange or lavender.
Essential oils are a tool used by people in the natural/simple living world to decrease the dependency on modern medicine. I think that is a great thing. Our culture depends too much on modern medicine to treat symptoms instead of finding cures. I choose not to use them in my home for medicinal purposes. I choose not to sell them to others. I would use oils on my animals if I felt it could help them. I’m not against oils, I just don’t use them myself.
If you have gotten this far, I appreciate your attention and consideration. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them in the comments below. Thanks!